Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Exodus

I have realized through the bible that often times when God wants to use a man to accomplish something, it's normally not an easy task. It often comes with a lot of obstacles that can make one wonder whether God is out to sabo you.

I'm reading Exodus now and God has told Moses to lead the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt. Moses and Aaron talked with Pharaoh, telling him what God has told Moses and Pharaoh says he doesn't even know who this God is, why should he release the Israelites cos of an unknown god? His heart then hardened and commanded that the Israelite slaves go and get their own straw for the bricks. v10, then the slave drivers and the foremen went out and said to the people,"This is what Pharaoh says:'I will not give you any more straw. Go and get your own straw wherever you can find it, but your work will not be reduced at all.'"

If I put myself in the Israelite slaves' shoes, this is what I'd be thinking: Stupid smart aleks Moses and Aaron, make our lives so hard. The 'Exodus' he claims seem so impossible. Instead of making our lives easier, he has made it even harder. I rather be in Egypt as a slave and keep my hopes low (so that I won't be disappointed) than follow this mad fellows and ultimately be disappointed and still make my life even harder. They should have just kept quiet. v21 (Israelite foremen to Moses and Aaron) May the Lord look upon you and judge you! You have made us a stench to Pharaoh and his officials and have put a sword in their hand to kill us.

In such times, I wonder if I'd really stand the test of faith. When things seem illogical, I wonder if I can look at it and see God's hand. Will I stand back and choose the slavery of comfort and familiarity or do I choose to put my faith in God despite impending circumstances?

No comments: