Monday, September 25, 2006

Mom

27th September is my mom's birthday. We normally just go out as a family for dinner during a family member's birthday. We've decided to celebrate her birthday earlier this year on a Sunday instead of the weekday.

Today, I had a good hard look at my mom. She dyed her hair. I realised she's quite hip, 50 plus already still take the effort to maintain herself and dress up. I realised she was very simple and beautiful on the inside. We brought our grandma out for the dinner as well. You see my grandma is a mother of 10 children. She stays with her eldest son, who happens to be filthy rich. My mother's siblings are all doing very well financially. So when my grandma fell ill, she was really very well taken care of and provided for. Medical bills were never an issue. She got the best treatment and care. Today, we fetched her from her house in a wheel chair. She's just recovered from treatment and was weak. From the way my mom talked to my grandma, I could see that my mom is a very filial daughter. I could see that she genuinely cares about her. So much so that she would risk her relationship with her brothers and father to share the good news of the gospel to her. When she talked to my grandma, I could see her eyes sparkle. She teased her and joked with her like they were best of friends. So yeah, filial daughter, I've so much to learn. (the filial part)

My mom is the only chinese-educated person in the family. I've always thought it must be lonely being her. She's the only gal in the family (cos the rest of my family comprises my dad and brother) and the only chinese-educated one. She's a very simple person. I've often seen her reading the bible on her bed in the room by herself. I love that picture. She uses a bilingual bible but chooses to read in both english as well as chinese. I can tell by the highlighting of verses. Today, when I looked at her, I was reminded of child-like faith again. She really believes the word. She believes so much that she claims the promises in the bible regularly by praying to God with my father everynight.

Sometimes, she can be irritating when I don't stop to think why she keeps stuffing me with food. Haha I really hate that. It's like she can't hear me when I say "mommy, kou le" for the first 2 times. She eventually gets it when the volume gets louder by the 3rd time. But yeah, that's the way she shows love. I'm never fat enough. I never have enough sleep according to her. :)

Hmm...how should I end this?

1 comment:

JesuaFreak said...

By being at home more often to spend quality time with them when they are still healthy and hale.. should lah...